I mostly have the day off so I thought I’d tackle the Book of the Night Warm Up. I didn’t do it exactly as described but as closely as I could stand too. The shadowy mist did not turn out the way I hoped. Nothing stuck to the slick acrylic background including the layer of fear words.
I think my name on my father’s tombstone is spooky. It may be the only tombstone my name will appear on. When he passed away 2 years ago on my birthday, he turned into (in my mind/grieving) the father archetype rather than the flawed human being. I am happy to have enjoyed him in the last year of his life.
|Hallowe’en in a Suburb
By H. P. Lovecraft
|The steeples are white in the wild moonlight,
And the trees have a silver glare;
Past the chimneys high see the vampires fly,
And the harpies of upper air,
That flutter and laugh and stare.For the village dead to the moon outspread
Never shone in the sunset’s gleam,
But grew out of the deep that the dead years keep
Where the rivers of madness stream
Down the gulfs to a pit of dream.A chill wind weaves thro’ the rows of sheaves
In the meadows that shimmer pale,
And comes to twine where the headstones shine
And the ghouls of the churchyard wail
For harvests that fly and fail.
Not a breath of the strange grey gods of change
That tore from the past its own
Can quicken this hour, when a spectral pow’r
Spreads sleep o’er the cosmic throne
And looses the vast unknown.
So here again stretch the vale and plain
That moons long-forgotten saw,
And the dead leap gay in the pallid ray,
Sprung out of the tomb’s black maw
To shake all the world with awe.
And all that the morn shall greet forlorn,
The ugliness and the pest
Of rows where thick rise the stones and brick,
Shall some day be with the rest,
And brood with the shades unblest.
Then wild in the dark let the lemurs bark,
And the leprous spires ascend;
For new and old alike in the fold
Of horror and death are penn’d,
For the hounds of Time to rend.
It all fits in my Reign Vermont Bag which I got for airline entertainment a few years ago at REI. I can even stuff my ipad and macbook if needed.
In the Art Bin
- Water Color Crayons
- Larger Gesso
- Larger Gel Medium
- Paint Brushes
- Craft Paint
- Paint Daubers
- Chalk Markers (big favorite)
- Big Pitt Brush Marker
- Masking Tape
- Green Photo case with Rubber Stamps for texture and chalk in pads
- Hairspray for fixative
- Flat Water Brush
Module #3 – Light Mixed Media in a make up bag with hangy hook
- Pouch One has Faber Castile Pitt Brush Markers (Permanent)
- Pouch Two has Water Soluble Tombow Markers
- Pouch Three has Tons of Other Stuff
- Gel Medium
- Glue Stick
- Heart of Darkness Ink
- Pencil Sharpener
- Paint Brush
- Green Slice Ceramic Precision Cutter (better than Exacto Knife and Safer)
- White Paint Pen
- Gold Paint Pen
- Gold Gelato
- Pencil Sharpener
- Small Water Spray Bottle
- Glue Pen
- Tombo Adhesive roller
- Faber Castile Mini Gesso (didn’t want to commit because it seems so small and hard to refill)
- Faber Castile Mini Gel Medium
- Faber Castile Mini Glaze Medium
- Short Scissors
I have a final Art Bin of bulkier things but haven’t gotten that right.
Here is the color portion to complement the Black Kitty Pouch.
- Tiny Water Color Box (MGraham because they don’t dry out and fall out)
- And/Or Faber Castile Colored Pencils
- And/Or Faber Castile Water Color Pencils
I almost have my full journal mobile unit together. I’m still refining the last module of the ‘flight attendant size’
I’ve been building it in modules depending on how much I can lug around.
This is the stuff that always goes with me.
Kitty Pen case:
- Noodles Pen with Heart of Darkness Ink (fountain pen ink that is perm if dry AND on paper that has some wood pulp content)
- Sharpie Fine Pen (Black)
- Staedtler .03 Pen Perm Black
- Red Click Eraser
- Little Metal Ruler
- .05 Mech Pencil with 2B Lead
- .03 Mech Pencil with HB Lead
- Mono Zero Eraser
- Brass Sharpener
- Kneadable Eraser
(It must have not made it in my purse after my Alaska Trip but I usually also have the cutest ever little watercolor tin)
I could get rid of one of the Mech Pencils and Black Perm markers but that’s what ended up wanting the most on hand.