Pie crust was my main motivator for taking the Pie class. I’ve tried and tried and even had private lessons with my mother. It all came together in this class. I think one secret was to grate the butter and then chill it. For the record, I love fruit. Berries are the best. But once it is cooked all of the magic disapears.
For Paul there is nothing better than apple pie. For this pie I used Chai spices for the topping.
Sitting outside on the patio of Hotel Bellwether watching the sunrise.
The coffee shop is closed and they didn’t disclose their operating hours. A man with a camera drives up and complains his missed the sunrise. Saw it with his eyes and not his camera.
We left Portland at around 10:30 am. Pulled over in Chehallis for lunch which was half a sandwich and half of an Icelandic danish-like pastry. Seattle stop for Coffee at Cupcake Royale. Location was 10/10 cupcakes only 6/10.
It was really nice to get away for the weekend.
I made pasta (from scratch) with my Kitchen Aid for Valentines.
Makes one 10-inch tube cake
4 cups peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped tart cooking apples (about 4 or 5 medium apples)
1/3 C (packed light) brown sugar
1 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon
3 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
grated zests of 1 orange
4 large eggs
1 C vegetable oil
½ c fresh or frozen orange juice
1. preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan, bundt pan or kugehlofmold. In a small bowl, combine the apples with the brown sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest. In a large bowl using a whisk or an electric mixer, beat the eggs and oil until thick and creamy, about 2 minutes at high speed. Add the dry ingredients with the orange juice and beat just until moistened, but thoroughly blended. Do not over mix, but there should be no lumps or dry spots.
3. spoon one third of the batter into the pan. Cover evenly with half the apple mixture and cover with another one third of the batter. Use a spatula to smooth the batter over the apples to cover completely. Repeat with the remaining apples and batter depending with a smooth layer of batter.
4. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and bake 60 min. Cover loosely with a piece of aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes more, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a rack about 1 hour. Invert onto a rack to cool completely before serving.
- Iceberg (Shredded)
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing (mix with lettuce while pizza cooks)
Spread BBQ Sauce on Crust. Place Shredded cheese on Pizza. Arrange Chicken & Jalapenos on Pizza.
Cook for 6 min in 450 degrees Oven. Allow to cool a bit before slicing. Place on Plate. Top with Lettuce that has been mixed with the dressing.